Canon is one of the leading printer brands in the market. People everywhere extensively use the various printer models of this brand. However, sometimes technical glitches arise, which prevent users from carrying out printing tasks. When you find your Canon printer offline it can become very difficult for you to carry out your usual tasks. This issue is highly common. But it also has many solutions. You must be aware of the various causes of the problem so that you can carry out appropriate troubleshooting. In this article, you’ll read about the significant reasons your Canon printer goes offline and the techniques to fix it.
Reasons for Canon Printer Offline Problem
When your printer goes offline, it cannot get any commands for printing from your computer. The potential reasons for it include the following:
- Incorrect default settings – Faulty default printer settings result in the printer going offline. This happens when you haven’t selected your printer as the default one.
- Printer spooler error – A technical problem in the spooler makes the Canon printer offline.
- You haven’t enabled the use printer offline option.
- Paper jamming often results in Canon printers getting offline.
- USB problems – When there’s a bad connection between the USB and your system, you will definitely face an offline error.
Troubleshooting the Canon Printer Offline Problem
Before implementing the tips below, you should ensure that your printing device is getting an adequate power supply. It should be securely connected to the system via a USB cable or a wireless network.
Check that your Canon printer is set as default.
Wrong settings in your computer can cause your printer to become offline. So, you must check the Windows 10 settings and ensure that your Canon printer is selected as the default one.
- From Windows search, launch ‘Control Panel’ and navigate to the ‘Devices and Printers option.
- From the list of ‘Printers,’ right-tap on your printer and choose the ‘Set as Default’ option.
- When you have successfully set your printer as default, you’ll view a green checkmark on it.
Turn off the Use Printer Offline status.
Those complaining my Canon printer is offline should check whether they have disabled the ‘Use Printer Offline’ status. Follow these steps to do so.
- Restart your printing device from the Windows search bar, and launch the Run box.
- Open ‘Control Panel’ and choose ‘Devices and Printers.’ You’ll see the installed Canon printer on the screen.
- If the printer has a green checkmark, right-tap on its icon and chooses ‘See what’s printing.’ But if you see the printer in gray color, right-tap and choose ‘Set as default printer.’
- Lastly, tap the ‘Printer’ option. If you see two checkmarks near the ‘Use Canon printer offline option, uncheck it. It will bring your printer online again.
See that the spooler service is turned on.
If the Canon printer spooler service is turned off, you will notice the offline printer problem. To turn on the spooler service, follow these points.
- Navigate to the Windows search bar and launch the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- After that, input ‘services.msc.’ Press ‘Enter.’
- Find the option ‘Printer Spooler’ from the ‘Properties’ window.
- Check that the spooler status is in running mode.
- If it’s not, right-click on the spooler and choose the ‘Start’ option.
- To restart the spooler service, right-click ‘Printer Spooler’ and choose ‘Restart.’
- Exit the ‘Properties’ window. Your Canon printer will be online now.
Update the printer driver
If none of the methods resolve you’re Canon printer offline problem, it implies an issue with your printer driver. So, you must uninstall it and reinstall it to fix the issue. To find the needed drivers, go to the official Canon website. Once there, you can download the compatible drivers. After that, follow these points to reinstall them properly.
- Hit the Windows key and R to open the ‘Run’ window.
- The next launch ‘Is device Manager’ followed by ‘Print Queues.’
- Right-tap on ‘Printer Hardware.’ From there, choose ‘Update Driver.’
- You will notice the question ‘How do you want to search for the driver?’
- Choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software.’
- Select the option to install the Canon printer driver.
- Lastly, reboot your PC and check for the error.
Untick the option of SNMP status enabled
The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) helps in gathering data from printers and handling them. Disabling this option can be an effective fix for the offline issue of Canon printers. Follow these steps to disable this option.
- Locate the icon of the Canon printer and right-tap it.
- Choose ‘Properties’ and then tap ‘Ports.’
- Now, click ‘Configure Port.’
- You’ll view ‘SNMP Status Enabled’ and a checkbox near it.
- Uncheck the box, and tap ‘OK.’
- After you apply this change, exit the window. Most probably, it will fix the problem.
Install the printer software again
Many people who report that My Canon printer is offline have found this error fixed by reinstalling the printer software. You can do so by following these steps.
- Firstly, hit the Windows key along with the R key.
- When the Run dialog box opens, input’ devmgmt.msc,’ and click ‘OK.’
- Below ‘Print Queues,’ you’ll see your printing device. Right-tap on it and choose ‘Uninstall Device.’
- Now, navigate to Canon’s official website and once again download the printer software.
It’s easy to troubleshoot the Canon printer offline problem once you understand the fixes. All of them are effective at resolving the error. However, if the error continues to prevail, contact expert printer technical support services. The professionals will efficiently fix this printer problem.