QuickBooks error 15106 generally occurs when you try to update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release. When this error occurs, you will receive a message “Error 15106: The update program cannot open” or “Error 15106: The update program is damaged”. We know this can be frustrating because it disturbs the workflow. But this won’t be a big issue anymore. We are here to help you, with his blog, we present to you the reasons behind QuickBooks update error 15106 and solutions to fix it.
Reasons for QuickBooks Update Error 15106?
There are two primary reasons behind the QB error 15106, which occurs while installing QuickBook’s latest updates. They are:
- Your computer’s antivirus is blocking the updates.
- You are not Signed in as an Administrator on the computer.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15106?
This section will assist with the solutions that can help you resolve the QuickBooks update error 15106.
1. Log in as an Administrator on Your Computer
- Click on Start.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on User Accounts.
- Select Change Account Type.
- Then choose the Administrator option if it is standard.
If your account type is already set to administrative, then follow another method to solve QuickBooks error 15106. If not, then contact your IT admin to provide the right to the user.
2. Stop Your Antivirus and Rename Folder
- Press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys together to open Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and search for [Antivirusname].exe.
Note: If you get an error, you can uninstall the antivirus program.
- Click on End Process.
- Rename the QuickBooks update folder
- Press the “Windows + E” keys from the keyboard to open File Explorer.
- Go to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
For 64-bit users, C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components.
- Now, right-click on the download folder, then choose Rename.
Note: AAA stands for the QuickBooks year version.
- Add .old at the end of the folder name and try to update QuickBooks again.
3. Turn Off User Account Control (UAC)
Here are the steps to turn off the UAC setting in Windows 10, 8, 8.1, and 7 to fix error 15106.
- Press the “Windows + R” keys together on the keyboard to open the Run window.
- Then, type Control Panel and click on OK.
- Now, choose User Accounts. Choose User Accounts (Classic View).
- Choose Change User Account Control Settings.
Note: If you are prompted by UAC, choose Yes to continue.
- Move the slider.
- Set the Never Notify and choose OK to turn UAC OFF.
- Set to Always Notify and choose to turn UAC ON.
- Restart the computer and check for the update error in QuickBooks
With the help of this, we present the methods to resolve your QuickBooks Error 15106 effortlessly. You can follow the steps to fix the QuickBooks update error 15106 without any technical knowledge. After following the solutions, if you are unable to fix the error, feel free to have a talk with our experts at QuickBooks phone number. They will provide the best solution.